Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bags, bags, and bags

Reusable bags.
Reading this topic you may think... there's an idea that's been around awhile.  It's so mainstream that almost every major grocery store chain will sell them to you.  In fact they have been around long enough that the other day in the grocery store I noticed that they sell reusable bag cleaning spray.  An accessory for your accessories- really?

But if you are just starting to be more eco-friendly or even if you are not, I still think this is something to talk about.  First because this is a good thing to do and people who do it all the time should get some kudos.  And secondly, because it's hard to do.  I have read lots of books where people get reusable bags as part of an environmentally friendly movement and sometimes it is just stated like an easy change.  But in my experience it's not.  This is something that takes effort.  I have grocery store bags and I can't count the number of times that I have been in the grocery store and not remembered them.  Or I even brought them but then got more groceries than would fit in the number of bags I selected to bring.  Having a toddler with me or being short on time exacerbates this problem.  Now I keep them in my car and am making a concerted effort to remember them every time.  My goal is not to come home with plastic bags ever, but I am still working on it.  In the meantime I use the plastic bags for cat litter, dirty diapers, trash bags, lunch sacks, package padding, etc.  They are pretty handy at times so if you get them don't despair.

One of the best items I ever bought was a reusable bag that folds up and can be kept in your purse.  This is good for most women although if you are a guy or carry a small purse it might not work for you.  Personally, this has saved me on many occasions.  But I still have to remember to use it.  And salespeople are quick with the plastic bags.  Sometimes by the time I've remembered they aready have it all bagged up.  I try to refuse a bag at all at times.  The other factor here is embarassment.  At the grocery stores around me bring your own bags is not unheard of.  I feel pretty comfortable doing this.  Except the time I pulled out my stack of bags and as the lady bagged my groceries she noticed that I had not one, but two reusable six-pack wine carriers- so I felt like a total lush.  Sort of like yesterday, when I bought beer on a grocery run with my toddler.  But I digress...  At other stores, like clothing stores, they give you funny looks when you pull out your own bag.  Not that this should stop you, but if you are shy like me it's definiately something you have to deal with.  I still am.

I encourage you to get a foldable, reusable bag and use your reusable grocery bags.  It is a big step, because it takes some memory and habit changes.  If you do this all the time, please share tips on remembering your bags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment